Questions For Reflection
Before we begin, consider the following questions. Your instructor may ask you to freewrite about one or more of these questions in your learning journal.
- Think about the last time that you got disappointing news. How did the sender deliver the message? How did that make you feel? Can you think of a way that you would have preferred to be told?
- Have you ever received a rejection from a job or university? Do you remember how that news was communicated? How did it make you feel? How would you have preferred to hear that news?
- Think about a time when you broke disappointing news to someone in the workplace or in your personal life. What strategy did you use to break the news? How did it go? Is there anything you wish you had done differently?
- How do you give bad news in your culture or family? Are you blunt or do you ease into it? Do you give different people bad news in different ways?
- Have you ever had to communicate news to a big group of people, like your family or your entire workplace? How did you decide what to put in the message?