Questions For Reflection
Before you start, consider the following questions. Your instructor may ask you to freewrite about one or more of these questions in your learning journal.
- Think about a time when a miscommunication occurred in your life. Why do you think it happened?
- Think about a time when you had to write to a new audience or in a new context. For example, perhaps you had to write an email to an instructor when you were new to university. How did you tackle the task? Is there anything you wish you did differently?
- Pretend that you woke up this morning and are sick. Write 1-2 sentences to the following audiences:
- Your best friend or partner, complaining about being sick.
- Your instructor, because you’re supposed to write a midterm today.
- Your followers on Facebook or Twitter.
Now, reflect on the differences between those messages. Which was the easiest to write? Which was the hardest? Would you post such a message on social media? Why or why not?