Your instructor may ask you to complete one or more of the following exercises.
- Think back to your last job. Freewrite on the topic “what did I do in this role that the average employee wouldn’t have done?” Then, take what you’ve written and turn it into 3 – 5 sentences for your resume that focus on your accomplishments, not your job duties.
- Pick a fictional character and try to write a resume for them. Have fun with it. For example, if you picked Elsa from Frozen, you might write “Harnessed abilities to create systemic changes across environment, leading to a 50% reduction in temperature and a 100% increase in singing.”
- Find a job posting online. Highlight key phrases and make a list of the top 3 qualities/skills that the employer is looking for.
- Read 10 job postings for a career that you want after graduation. Underline key phrases, then look for trends among the postings. What are the most common skills/qualities/traits that employers are looking for? Identify 3, then write 1 – 2 paragraphs explaining how you’ll acquire these skills/qualities/traits before graduation.
- If you have experience with a different culture, write a blog post explaining to someone who’s just moved to the country how to get a job there.
Bermudez-Silverman, P. (2018, May 16). The Coded Gaze: Algorithm Bias? What is it and Why Should I Care? Retrieved from: https://medium.com/africana-feminisms/the-coded-gaze-algorithmic-bias-what-is-it-and-why-should-i-care-51a416dbc3f3
Buolamwini, J. (2016, November). How I’m Fighting Bias in Algorithms. [Video File]. Retrieved from: https://www.ted.com/talks/joy_buolamwini_how_i_m_fighting_bias_in_algorithms?language=en
Caprino, K. (2019, March 23). How To Write a Resume That Will Pass the Artificial Intelligence Test. Retrieved from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kathycaprino/2019/03/23/how-to-write-a-resume-that-passes-the-artificial-intelligence-test/#484017456ea7
Cornfield, J. (2018, Oct. 2). Robots are reading your resume, so here are 5 tips to meet their approval. Retrieved from: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/01/how-to-make-sure-the-robots-pass-your-resume-on-to-the-hiring-manager.html
Green, A. (2010). How To Get a Job: Secrets Of a Hiring Manager. Retrieved from: https://www.askamanager.org/2010/08/my-how-to-get-job-ebook-is-here.html