- Visual design is important because people don’t read workplace documents for fun. They read them because they have to. Your job is to make documents as readable and usable as possible.
- Before you design your document, define your purpose and think about your audience.
- To make sure that everyone can benefit from your graphics, consider accessibility.
- Gestalt Theory helps us to think about how the document functions as a whole. The six principles of Gestalt Theory are: similarity, continuation, closure, proximity, figure/ground segregation and symmetry.
- When designing charts and graphs, think about what relationship you’re trying to show.
- It’s important to revise graphics and other document design elements in the same way that it’s important to revise what you write.