Before we begin, consider the following questions. Your instructor may ask you to freewrite about one or more of these questions in your learning journal.
- If you already have a cover letter or resume, how did you compose it? How successful do you think your cover letter or resume is?
- When you write a cover letter or resume, how do you decide what information to put in it?
- If you have experience with another culture, what are job application materials like in that culture? How do people get jobs?
- How do you feel about promoting yourself? Is it hard to talk about your accomplishments? Why or why not?
- Write about a time when you did something in the workplace that you were proud of. (It doesn’t have to be a major accomplishment).
- What makes you a great employee?
- Have you ever hired someone for a role? If so, what did reviewing resumes and cover letters of other people teach you about the job application process?