After studying this chapter you should be able to:
- Describe the structure and functions of the neuron.
- Draw a diagram of the pathways of communication within and between neurons.
- List three of the major neurotransmitters and describe their functions.
- Describe the structures and functions of the “old brain” and its influence on behaviour.
- Explain the structure of the cerebral cortex (its hemispheres and lobes) and the function of each area of the cortex.
- Define the concepts of brain plasticity, neurogenesis and brain lateralization.
- Compare and contrast the techniques that scientists use to view and understand brain structures and functions.
- Summarize the primary functions of the CNS and the subsystems of the PNS.
- Explain how the electrical components of the nervous system and the chemical components of the endocrine system work together to influence behaviour.