If you are unfamiliar with the Pressbooks platform, here is how to get the most out of this webbook.
This textbook is available in the following formats:
- Online webbook. You can read this textbook online on a computer or mobile device in one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari.
- PDF. You can download this book as a PDF to read on a computer (Digital PDF) or print it out (Print PDF).
- Mobile. If you want to read this textbook on your phone or tablet, you can use the EPUB (eReader) or MOBI (Kindle) files.
- HTML. An HTML file can be opened in a browser. It has very little style so it doesn’t look very nice, but some people might find it useful.
You can access the online webbook and download any of the formats for free here: Introduction to Criminology. To download the book in a different format, look for the “Download this book” drop-down menu and select the file type you want.
|Format||Internet required?||Device||Required apps||Accessibility Features||Screen reader compatible|
|Online webbook||Yes||Computer, tablet, phone||An Internet browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari)||WCAG 2.0 AA compliant, option to enlarge text, and compatible with browser text-to-speech tools||Yes|
|No||Computer, print copy||Adobe Reader (for reading on a computer) or a printer||Ability to highlight and annotate the text. If reading on the computer, you can zoom in.||Unsure|
|EPUB and MOBI||No||Computer, tablet, phone||Kindle app (MOBI) or eReader app (EPUB)||Option to enlarge text, change font style, size, and colour.||Unsure|
|HTML||No||Computer, tablet, phone||An Internet browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari)||WCAG 2.0 AA compliant and compatible with browser text-to-speech tools.||Yes|
Tips for Using This Textbook
- Search the textbook.
- If using the online webbook, you can use the search bar in the top right corner to search the entire book for a key word or phrase. To search a specific chapter, open that chapter and use your browser’s search feature by hitting [Cntr] + [f] on your keyboard if using a Windows computer or [Command] + [f] if using a Mac computer.
- The [Cntr] + [f] and [Command] + [f] keys will also allow you to search a PDF, HTML, EPUB, and MOBI files if you are reading them on a computer.
- If using an eBook app to read this textbook, the app should have a built-in search tool.
- Navigate the textbook.
- This textbook has a table of contents to help you navigate through the book easier. If using the online webbook, you can find the full table of contents on the book’s homepage or by selecting “Contents” from the top menu when you are in a chapter. You can also use the keyboard arrow keys to move to the previous or next chapter.
Keep an eye out for these features:
While reading, you may come across words that are bolded and underlined, for example: . You can click on these words and their definition will pop up without needing to navigate away. You can see a full list of terms on the Glossary page.
the process of compiling and reviewing information, and then summarizing and synthesizing the data, often with the aide of statistical techniques, to reach a conclusion or explanation about the phenomenon under study.