2. Typologies and Patterns of Crime
- Why do criminologists refer to law as a social construction?
- Can you think of any examples of laws not mentioned in the reading that are NOT based on a clear consensus in society?
- Identify another aspect of Indigenous culture that has been criminalised under the Indian Act beyond potlatches.
- Can you think of examples of how your heritage may have granted or denied you privileges that others did not have access to?
- Provide an example of how COVID-19 could affect crime patterns that was not discussed in the reading.
- Devise a list of possible explanations as to why the crime rate has dropped since the 1990s. Consider changes in technology and the law.
- Aside from weather, list a few hypothetical explanations for higher violent crime rates in Western Canada. How does your local crime rate differ from neighbouring cities or provinces?