17. Restorative, Transformative Justice
- How are the values of restorative justice present in the processes you learned about in this chapter? For example, how might “respect” be demonstrated towards offenders, victims, and communities in restorative justice practice?
- One of the barriers for Canadians to access restorative justice is a lack of information about these approaches. How might Canadians and criminal justice professionals (police, judges, victim services, correctional services) become more aware of restorative justice? Who should be responsible for educating Canadians about restorative justice?
- What are the main differences and similarities between retributive, rehabilitative, restorative and transformative justice approaches?
- Many restorative principles originate in the traditional practices of Indigenous cultures and other cultures. How would we respectfully approach the inclusion of these practices into restorative justice with an aim to mitigate cultural appropriation and disrespectful distortions that perpetuate the exploitation and oppression of marginalised peoples?