The KPU Learning Centre’s uses a detailed and in depth tutor training program to accredit our tutors. The purpose of the KPU program is twofold. First, it provides recognition and positive reinforcement for tutors’ successful work. Second, the KPU tutor certification process sets a rigorous standard of skills and training for tutors. We currently have external accreditation from the Educational Developers Caucus (EDC) of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE). We are working with other Canadian organizations in anticipation of a Canadian Tutor Standard. As a result, when you work at the Learning Centre, you will earn this certification.
There are three levels of certification:
- Essentials (Level 1)
- Advanced (Level 2)
- Master (Level 3)
All tutors who work at the Learning Centre are required to complete one Level each semester that they work until they have finished all 3 levels.
Level One Requirements for certification include:
- Complete the Level I tutor training and development program with the additional 6 hours of integration exercises and debriefing.
- Attend tutor meetings as required.
- Write personal reflective journal entries and reflection on tutoring skills and tutor training.
- Receive feedback from Tutees.
- Participate in Moodle activities and discussions.
- Satisfactorily demonstrate your tutoring skills while being observed by a faculty member.
- Debrief with Faculty Observer.
- Coaching with a Learning Strategist in the Learning Centre.
- Tutor a minimum of 25 hours at Level I – use the tracking sheets provided by your supervisor for yourself. Our Tutor Appointment system will be used to validate your contact tutoring hours.
- Meet with you coordinator at least once a month to discuss how you are doing with your tutoring and your tutees, as well as review your progress through the online materials.
- Complete the self-evaluation form and attend the final appraisal meeting.
- Tutor performance appraisal by Learning Centre Coordinator and Tutor Supervisor to review the semester and identify next steps.
Your completion of these elements will be guided by your coordinator and supported by the Learning Strategists and other faculty members. We wish you all success in your tutoring career.
Continue your Tutor Training
This concludes the Essential Fundamentals section of the KPU Level One Tutor Training program. You will continue your training under the guidance of your Learning Centre Coordinator, Learning Strategists, and faculty mentors. Good Luck in all your Tutoring activities.