Step 1: Find the 4 Ws
The 4 Ws for the journal article (there are four slides)
Step 2: Arrange the 4 Ws in the correct order and with the correct formatting.
The citation for the journal article (click image to see it bigger)
- Author: is the Family name, Initials. for each author, with a comma in between, and an ampersand (the and sign &) before the last author.
- Authors are always ordered as they appear on the work.
- Date: is the publication date (Year) of the article.
- Title: is in sentence-case, as are all titles of works cited in APA Style.
- Source location: is the Scholarly Journal Title (in Title-Case and italics), Volume number (in italics) and Issue number (in parentheses), the article’s page range, and hyperlinked DOI.
- Note: The article is part of a larger source (the scholarly journal), so the source is italicized and not the article.
Now try it yourself!
The Library’s APA Online Guide is a great resource to have on hand for creating reference citations.